Friday 30 January 2009

Bobbing up and down like this.....

Following on from my earlier post, I completed part two of my process today. The Mikveh.

I don't know whether burning the 'shell story' had taken effect, or whether I was filled with pure nervous energy over the thought of going to a public pool and doing something odd, but this morning (as I said to my sister earlier) I was like a wasp on speed, zooming through the house getting on with things that I have procrastinated on for far too long. I tidied paperwork, I put boxes and things to sell in the back room, I put the rubbish bags outside the back door in to the bin, I did a load of washing and hung it out, and I filled my swim bag with the following items:

  • Goggles for pre-meditation (and checking out the lie of the land) swim
  • Nose clips (as if I am not drawing enough attention to myself)
  • Shampoo, shower gel, hair brush and mousse
  • Towel
  • Make-up
  • Mikveh meditation laminated sheet
  • Carrier bag for wet swimming costume
Notice anything missing? No, neither did I.

So I set off for the pool and noticed various spinal twinges along the way, which I ignored. And then, when I was halfway to the pool, I very suddenly went deaf in my left ear. Oo, interesting. And then when I was halfway across the car park to the pool, I then went deaf in my right ear too. How bizarre.

"ONE ADULT SWIM" I shouted at the young man behind the counter, determined to see the process through.

So I got changed and carried my A4 meditation sheet, covered with my towel, through to the pool. It was busy, but not impossibly packed. There were two 'serious' swimming lanes and a wider 'dawdle along and have a chat with your friend' lane. Perfect. It was taking so long for these people to get from one end of the pool to the other ("over-arm strokes" are banned in the dawdlers lane) that I didn't have to worry about taking anyone by surprise as I popped up and down. Leaving my towel and laminated paper on the side of the 'spectators only' area, I went to the deep end, slid in to the pool (which was surprisingly warm) and did a couple of slow lengths of breast stroke.

And then I thought 'why put this off any longer?' and retrieved my sheet from the side, receiving a curious glance from the young female life-guard watching the deep end. Oh, so what if she is curious - for all she knows I could be doing confidence exercises, clinging to the wall by the steps and periodically disappearing.

Throughout the process I kept my focus on the sheet and ignored everything else going on around me. And nobody seemed to take the slightest bit of notice. So what was I worried about? I concentrated on the meditations, taking my time, stopping once to retrieve my goggles when they floated off the top of my head, and a second time to avoid a young chap with down's syndrome who was delighted to have swam the length of the pool unaided. And he swam it using a very splashy front crawl which strictly speaking, was illegal, but I wasn't about to rain on his parade looking at the smile on his face. Well done, You, I thought.

And then I left the pool feeling all light and breezy. My hearing had returned, the pain in my back had disappeared almost completely, and I felt - what's the best way of describing it - all smiley inside.

I even continued to feel all smiley inside when I realised that I had left my knickers and bra at home, and had to walk around the supermarket secretly commando...

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant. I just knew no one else would really take a blind bit of notice. Mind you, if you had done this properly and been NAKED then I am sure not only would you have had more spectators but you would have also made the local news. So, so glad to hear it went well and had such a positive impact. REMEMBER this feeling. Write down some positive daily affirmations while you feel this way and tape them all over your house. Play your favourite happy song, dance all over the house and channel this energy into the song, so if ever you're losing the feeling the song can help give it back to you. I'm really proud. xxx

    ReplyDelete